To help make the buying and selling experience enjoyable for everyone, please follow these guidelines when posting items.
We may remove content that violates these guidelines. In cases of severe or repeated violations, we may suspend or cancel an account or take other action. For more information, please see our Terms of service.
OfferUp is a way to connect with your local community and beyond. Use your true identity and honestly represent yourself. Please:
- Use one account per user.
- Don’t use a throw-away email address. This signals to us that you might not be here for the right reasons.
- Don’t create accounts designed to impersonate someone else.
- Don’t use emulators or third-party sites to post on OfferUp. You must be the owner of your item.
- Represent yourself in a neighborly way when creating your account and custom profile link.
To allow buyers to get a true feel for the items you’re selling, please:
- Always include an image of the item. Posts with no image, including those with a photo containing only text, aren't allowed.
- Include high-quality, well-lit photos.
- Keep photo clean by not adding extra stickers or text.
- Post an image of the actual item, not a catalog or stock photo.
- Use your own photos. Don't use photos that infringe on the intellectual property rights of others.
Multiple posts showing identical items from the same seller can be confusing to buyers, and difficult to manage for sellers. Even if you have more than one of the same item, please list one at a time. Don't post the same item in more than one listing or in multiple categories.
Please list an accurate geographic location so your local buyers can arrange to meet you for pickup. If you want to sell something outside your area, list it for selling and shipping nationwide. More about shipping
Titles, descriptions, & prices
Titles and descriptions should give buyers a clear, honest, and accurate description so they can tell if the item is what they're looking for. Some things to avoid:
- Don't add keywords or price points intended to manipulate search results.
- Do not set prices that are clearly inflated above standard market value.
- Don't link to websites or post URLs.
- Don't provide personal information, such as a phone number or email address.
- Don't solicit risky payment methods such as Western Union or Moneygram.
NOTE: In response to COVID-19, ALL hand sanitizer, toilet paper, and disinfecting wipes are prohibited. Handmade face masks are allowed, however, commercially-produced, medical-grade, or similar respiratory masks are not allowed.
Messaging & communication
OfferUp messaging lets you communicate with others without sharing personal information or leaving the app. Remember, the use of in-app messaging to circumvent prohibited items or posting rules isn't allowed. Tips for messaging
Most items are allowed on OfferUp, but there are a few types of items that aren’t permitted. Some may present legal issues or be dangerous, while others may be offensive or not in line with the spirit of our community. Read the prohibited items guidelines for details.
Sometimes fees may be incurred when posting certain kinds of items or making cashless transactions. Any action by a seller to avoid paying a fee is strictly prohibited. It's important to remember that if you don't pay these fees, whether intentionally or by mistake, your listings may be removed.
Help keep our community strong
If you notice posts that don't meet these guidelines, please report them to us for investigation. For more information, see Report a person or item.