We want you to buy and sell safely, and we're grateful that you're willing to meet others to make it happen. Keep in mind that just because someone is buying or selling online doesn't guarantee your safety: You're responsible for your safety, so when you arrange a meetup, take sensible precautions. In the event of an emergency or any danger, call 911 or your local emergency number.
Before you meet
- Never share confidential information with another person (i.e. passwords, social security numbers, banking information).
- Don't share your phone number. Chat through the OfferUp app! Follow our tips for messaging.
- Research the person, product, and place.
- Check out the other person's profile. What do others say about them?
- Look at the item photos. Do they give you enough detail?
- Pick a safe place during a busy time of day.
- Use the built-in meetup feature to find Community MeetUp Spots.
- Always buy and sell in well-lit, monitored, public locations such as cafes or grocery stores.
Before or after you meet
- Let us know if there's a problem with a person or an item.