As a buyer, you have the ability to file a claim for any shipped purchase. Make sure to request a refund before filing a claim, as this may be a faster solution to your issue.
If you’re unable to request a refund from the seller successfully, you may file a claim. You will have to check to make sure whether you purchased your item from a Verified Shop or community seller, as the process and timeframe for each are different. Keep in mind that certain restrictions will apply to both types of purchases.
What is covered:
The following issues are covered with purchase protection when bought and shipped through OfferUp:
- The buyer did not receive the item
- The item is damaged when the buyer receives it
- The item is incorrect or missing
- The item the buyer receives is not as described
Note: If the item isn’t shipped within 5 days of payment, the buyer's payment is automatically canceled and returned to the account they used to buy the item.
What isn't covered:
- An item doesn't fit or the buyer doesn't like it
- An item is prohibited by OfferUp
- The purchase was made in cash or with an in-person cashless payment
- The purchase was conducted through payment or shipping systems outside of OfferUp
Types of Purchase Protection (community seller vs. Verified Shop)
There are two types of protection we offer which depend on who’s selling the item: community seller or Verified Shops. You can find what type of protection is offered in the item description and in the purchase receipt.
|If you purchased an item from a community seller, you may be protected through OfferUp 2-Day Purchase Protection.||If the seller is a Verified Shop, you’ll be protected through OfferUp 30-Day Purchase Protection.|
First, contact the seller to ask for a refund as soon as possible. See instructions below on how to request a refund from a Verified Shop and a community seller.
Purchases from Verified Shops
When purchasing an item from a Verified Shop, OfferUp customers have 30-day purchase protection, which means they have up to 30 days from the time the item arrives to request a refund. Using the app, buyers have the option to request a refund. Once a refund is requested, Verified Shops will need to accept the refund in order for it to be approved. If a refund is not accepted, the buyer can submit a claim to OfferUp Support for assistance.
How to file a claim from a Verified Shop purchase
Double-check your email for the seller’s response. If you’ve requested a refund from a Verified Shop but haven’t heard from them in over 2 business days, you can file a purchase protection claim with OfferUp Support.
To do this, follow these steps within 30 days of purchase:
- Find the item you requested a refund for in Transactions. Tap on the item to view the receipt
- Tap Request a refund
- Tap Get help from OfferUp
- You will then be prompted to submit a purchase protection claim. First, choose a reason for your claim from the drop-down menu.
- Provide a description of your claim
- Tap Submit
Once you have submitted your claim, OfferUp Support will begin working on your case. We may request additional information or documentation and reserve the right to deny buyer requests.
Purchases from community sellers
How to file a claim from a community seller
- Within 2 days of receiving the item, let the seller know if you didn't get what you expected. They will need to respond to your request through OfferUp. To do this, check your Notifications and click on the delivered notification: “Delivered! Within 2 days, inspect the item and confirm it’s as expected.”
- If they decline or do not answer after 2 business days of submitting the refund request, use the ‘Get help from OfferUp button’ located in your chat message (found in the refund confirmation message).
- Get help from OfferUp will prompt a buyer protection form. In the form that appears, enter your reason for using purchase protection. We’ll also need your transaction ID to access details about your purchase. If the form does not have the transaction ID auto-filled, you can find it by following these steps:
- Tap Purchases & Sales, then Transactions
- Select the receipt for the item you have questions about
- Scroll to Payment info for the transaction ID
- OfferUp will review the request and take the corresponding action. OfferUp may request additional information or documentation and reserves the right to deny buyer requests.
- OfferUp will provide return instructions on approval, and the buyer will need to return the item accordingly.
- If approved, OfferUp will issue a refund up to the original price (including shipping costs) of the item sent to the original form of payment.