How buyer protection works
When an item is paid for and shipped through OfferUp, the buyer may be protected if certain problems occur. Buyer protection covers up to the original purchase price of the item for eligible issues, as described in this document.
Before you file a claim
First, contact the seller to ask for a refund. You have two days for this after the package arrives. You can always ask the seller questions in chat, let them know the request is coming, or send them photos. You'll need to tap How's the item and then tap Contact seller to request a refund.
If you don't get the answer you're hoping for, you have two more days to let us know.
If you bought an item via nationwide shipping, you and the seller can sort out many issues yourselves. If that doesn't work and you request a refund through OfferUp, we'll keep track of your request and the response, and help you out if you can't reach a conclusion.
What is covered
The following issues are covered when bought and shipped through OfferUp:
- There was undisclosed damage to the item
- An item is incorrect or missing
- The item received is not as described
If the item isn’t shipped within 6 days of payment, the buyer's payment is automatically canceled and returned to the account or card they used to buy the item. It may take 3-5 business days for the funds to be available.
The buyer's payment is held until the transaction is complete. The transaction is considered complete if no buyer protection claim is made within a 2-day period after item delivery. At that point, the payment is released to the seller.
Once the payment has been released to the seller, all sales are final and no refunds will be issued.
What isn't covered
- An item doesn't fit or the buyer doesn't like it
- An item is prohibited by OfferUp
- The purchase was made in cash or with an in-person cashless payment
- The purchase was conducted through payment or shipping systems outside of OfferUp
How to use buyer protection
- Within 2 days of receiving the item, let the seller know if you didn't get what you expected. They can respond to your request through OfferUp.
- If they decline or do not answer, use the Contact Us button at the bottom of this article.
- Select Submit a buyer protection claim in the form and enter your reason for using buyer protection. We’ll also need your transaction ID to find details about your purchase. You can find it on your receipt. Open it from your messages about the item, or:
- Log into your account
- Tap Account
- Tap Payments and receipts, then Transactions
- Select the receipt for the item you have questions about
- Scroll to Payment info for the transaction ID
- OfferUp will review the request and take corresponding action. OfferUp may request additional information or documentation, and reserves the right to deny buyer requests.
- On approval, OfferUp will provide return instructions, and the buyer will handle the item accordingly.
- OfferUp will issue a refund up to the original price of the item, sent to the original form of payment.