As a buyer, you have the ability to file a claim for any shipped purchase if there is an issue with your item. However, before you file a claim, we recommend requesting a refund directly from the seller as this will likely give you a faster resolution. If you’re unable to request a refund from the seller successfully, you can file a 2-Day Purchase Protection claim.
What is covered:
The following issues are covered with purchase protection when an item is bought and shipped through OfferUp:
- The buyer did not receive the item.
- The item is damaged when the buyer receives it.
- The item is incorrect or missing.
- The item the buyer receives is not as described.
If the item isn’t shipped within 5 days of payment, the transaction is canceled and the buyer's payment is automatically returned to their original payment method.
What isn't covered:
- Items that don’t fit.
- Items the buyer doesn’t like.
- Any item that is prohibited by OfferUp.
- Purchases made in cash or with an in-person cashless payment.
- Purchases conducted through payment or shipping systems outside of OfferUp.
How to file a claim
- Within 2 days of receiving the item, inspect the item to ensure that it arrived as described.
- If there is an issue, let the seller know that you didn't get what you expected. They will need to respond to your request through OfferUp.
To do this, check your Notifications and click the delivery notification: “Delivered! Within 2 days, inspect the item and confirm it’s as expected.”
- If the seller declines or doesn’t answer after 2 business days of submitting the refund request, click the Get help from OfferUp button located in your chat message.
This will open the 2-Day Purchase Protection form.
- Enter your reason for using purchase protection. We’ll also need your transaction number to access details about your purchase.
If the form does not have the transaction ID auto-filled, you can find it by following these steps:
- Tap Account .
- Tap Purchase & Sales, then Transactions.
- Select the receipt for the item you are submitting a claim for.
- Scroll to Payment info to find the Transaction number.
- OfferUp will review the request and determine the appropriate action. OfferUp may request additional information or documentation and reserves the right to deny buyer requests.
- If approved:
- OfferUp will provide a return label and instructions. The buyer will need to ship the item back to the seller.
For more information on Shipping Policies and requirements, see How to ship with OfferUp.
- OfferUp will issue a refund up to the original price (including shipping costs) to the original form of payment.