When your item is ready to be shipped, package it securely. The seller is responsible for getting the box.
Then, use the mailing label from OfferUp. It will be in your email and available in the app.
How to pack
Make sure your items get to your buyers without any hiccups:
1. Use the right box size and packaging tape
- Packages will be sent by USPS. Please don't use boxes marked for any specific shipping method.
- Choose a plain, sturdy box big enough for the item and sufficient padding. Small items may fit into a padded envelope. You should use the smallest package possible since empty space can cause damage if the contents inside get jostled around.
- If using a box, don’t confuse packaging tape and storage tape. Use packaging tape! It’s sturdier than storage tape.
- Note that “Extra small” packages are under 8 ounces, and the other sizes are based on package size. Make sure that the actual package size is the same or smaller than the package size selected for the shipping label, or the carrier may charge more.
- Extra Small (up to 8 ounces): Good for earbuds, small cosmetics or toiletries, wristwatches, other small items (with padding).
- Small (approximately 9” x 6” x 3”): Hardback or paperback books, mobile phones or other small electronics (with padding), sunglasses
- Medium (approximately 12” x 9” x 6”): Shoes, purses, game controllers (with padding)
- Large (approximately 14” x 10” x 6”): Countertop kitchen gadgets or hand tools (with padding), larger pieces of clothing (sweaters, coats)
- For more information about eligible items, fees, and restrictions, see our Shipping Policies page.
2. Don’t over/under pack your shipments
- Don’t overpack the package, or it could burst in transit. If your package is close to the size of your item, pick a bigger box and add extra padding. Make sure to account for this when selecting a package when you post the item.
- Make all items as secure as possible — the more they move, the more likely they are to break.
- Give the box a shake: does the item move? If so, use more padding! Keep the item from touching the outer box by using padding like crumpled newspaper, grocery bags, or bubble wrap.
- Make sure the box won't come open by sealing it with 2-inch wide tape.
3. Use your OfferUp label
- The label helps you track your item, from the carrier to your buyer’s doorstep. As soon as you accept a shipping offer, you get the label you need. And you do need it--you won’t get paid without it. If you have not received a label or run into other problems, you can contact our team to get further assistance.
- Attach the provided shipping label by taping down each edge with clear tape.
4. Reduce, reuse, recycle!
- If you decide to use an old box or packing material, make sure all old markings are removed or covered, including barcodes, addresses, or hazardous materials signs.